Get help paying your rent


Outlining benefits of Universal Credit

Universal Credit is for people of working age, designed to top up your income to a minimum level and help you with your housing costs (rent and some service charges). It is for people on a low to moderate income. It does not matter whether you are working or not, or the reason why you are not working. Universal Credit replaces these benefits:

  • Housing Benefit.
  • Income Support.
  • Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance.
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Child Tax Credit.
  • Working Tax Credit.

Universal Credit does not include help with your Council Tax. You must claim Council Tax Support separately from Plymouth City Council. Universal Credit is paid in one lump sum and on a monthly basis, and includes help to pay your rent. This help isn’t paid separately, like Housing Benefit. The Universal Credit is paid straight to you, so you have to pay your rent out of this money.

Plymouth has become a full digital service area for Universal Credit, which means anyone is able to claim it – including couples and families. Most people will get the same amount of money as they would have under the benefits listed above – it just looks like more because of the benefits all being paid together, including help with rent, and is paid monthly, all at once.

It is important to budget when getting Universal Credit payments. As they are paid monthly in arrears, you will need to keep enough money back to make sure you pay your rent each month, other household bills and living expenses. For more information and advice, contact our Financial Inclusion Team on 0808 230 6500.

Read More Stories

Rose Hodgson

A close shave

PCH resident Rose Hodgson shaved all her hair off to raise money for St Luke’s Hospice and donated her hair to a children’s charity.

Read More »